Asia Pacific Maritime Security Roundtable Series Event #3: China’s Belt Road Initiative
“Maritime Security in the Asia Pacific Region: China’s Belt Road Initiative” is the third of a four-part series of roundtable discussions hosted by the Center for Asia Pacific Strategy that addresses current and future approaches to maritime security in the Asia-Pacific region. The third panel discussion was recorded on February 14, 2022.
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
1. The impacts of the BRI on nations of Southeast Asia
2. Strategies for alliances and coalitions in the Asia Pacific region and advantages and disadvantages of the BRI.
3. Benefits and dangers of the program
4. Positive and negative impacts observed so far.
5. If not BRI, then what? (If BRI funds no longer available, where is the foreign aid coming from?)
Lawrence Monaco, Chief of Staff, Center for Asia Pacific Strategy
Brigadier (Ret.) Andrew Cliffe, Board of Directors, Center for Asia Pacific Strategy
– Dr. Tuong Vu, Dept. Head of Political Science, University of Oregon
– Dr. Prabir De, Professor at Research and Information System for Developing Countries
– Dr. Asanka Wijesinghe, Research Fellow at Institute of Policy Studies Sri Lanka